How to Clean Outdoor Furniture
Since it’s a new year season, people would like to take on a new look of their patios. No one wants to sit on a grimy patio chair or eat off of a dirty table. So keeping your patio furniture in pristine condition, routine cleanings are the key. For best results, you should clean outdoor furniture four times a year: Once at the beginning of summer, once at the end of summer, and a couple of times in between. For optimal protection, store furniture indoors during winter months to prevent additional weathering and staining.
In this article, we’d like to introduce how to clean wicker and glass outdoor furniture.
Wicker Outdoor Furniture
- To remove grime, use a mild oil-base soap, such as Murphy Oil Soap, mixed with warm water. Or, for a do-it-yourself cleaning solution, mix 1⁄4 cup ammonia, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, and 1 quart warm water. Commercial wood cleaners are often the most effective, but be sure to read directions carefully. Wicker and painted woods might require diluting the solution.
- For hard woods, consider annually sanding and applying a fresh coat of protective finish, such as oil, stain, or a polyurethane coating.
- Hose down wicker every few weeks to prevent dirt buildup in crevices.
- Regularly wiping down wood to remove dirt, debris, and excess water is the best way to protect it.
Glass Patio Furniture
- Remove any stuck-on debris with a glass-safe, nonabrasive material. Many scrub brushes will scratch glass, so opt for one designed to tackle tough cleanup jobs without marking your furniture.
- Dish detergent and home cleaning solutions are the most effective cleaners. After an initial cleaning, spray on white vinegar or glass cleaner and wipe away with a microfiber cloth or paper towel.
- Clean the underside of a glass table at least once a month to prevent irreversible grime.
- Cover a glass table when it’s not in use. Commercial window cleaners can’t always keep your glass tables clean.
- Fix small scratches and chips in glass with a glass-repair kit from an automotive retailer.
- Clean frames of glass tables according to their material type.